Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Graduation Day

I have been on "spring break" for the month of May. In this pleasant recess from travel I have been able to revel in the fresh breezes of a new season which has been prolonged by coolness and rain. The shade plants are having a robust celebration... the iris, hosta, trillium and columbine are proudly presenting themselves. Between rain drops, Greg has finally prepared the vegetable garden and planted the tomatoes, peppers, squash and other delights. Greg's helper, Pumpkin, takes time out to be the Queen of the Green, above.

This Columbine plays host every year and greets all our visitors at the front door. She is especially happy this season. She looks like a marvelous floral chandelier with all those dangling blossoms. And she shows nicely next to the newly painted house.

In the midst of all this merry making, we have a few other things to celebrate, too! We have a niece graduating from high school and a nephew graduating from 8th grade. One of my favorite high school graduation gifts was a set of sheets and towels (of my very own!) to take off to college. It was a symbol of my independence and potential... a "new beginning" present. 

So, I am doing the same for my niece, who is will begin college in Florida this fall. But, of course, this gift has to be personalized and I know Maddie loves the color orange, so ORANGE it is! I started by making her two coordinating pillows, both with a little turquoise for balance.

Then we purchased a set of very orange towels to decorate with appliqued ribbons in one of the same pillow fabrics. I used turquoise top stitching thread on both edges to jazz it up. The fabric is from last season's Hothouse line for FreeSpirit.

Since we know she will be spending lots of time at the beach, poor thing, we threw in a beach towel and I appliqued a butterfly in one corner. Here a froggy friend enjoys a sun bath before it all gets wrapped up in ribbon and tissue. I hope that she enjoys using them as much as I enjoyed making them!

What about the nephew, you ask? He already has an Aunt Jane pillowcase, but I may make him another with an iTunes coupon attached.

My teaching schedule sabbatical ends tomorrow, so today I will absorb as much spring as possible! It looks as if the sun will be shining and the breezes cool. A perfect spring day!


7 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

What a clever idea for a graduation gift. I'm sure she will love it. The ribbon on the towels is just the right touch, and there will be no doubt as to whose towel is whose!

Anonymous said...

What a prefect graduation present! Love those hosts, too.

jen duncan said...

Lovely post all around Jane!
:-)

Library Gal Quilts said...

I love that idea for a college gift! My daughter is moving to Charleston South Carolina and I think I'll do the same! Although I actually cringe when I have to use up any of my Sassaman Fabric :) Pam in Chico

Letterpress said...

I need to sew up some pillowcases, and your post has given me the motivation to get the job done. I always love reading your blog--thanks!

Anonymous said...

My favorite kind of gift - pretty and practical!

Pumpkin does look very queenly, in all she surveys.

It was so nice meeting you at the Genesee Valley quilt show this past weekend, Jane! I appreciate your kind words about my work.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Beautiful graduation gift..congratulations. Wonderful post Jane!

Pat